Call for Proposals/Projects
Spon Spun Art Trail 2016
The Spon Spun Art Trail is a part of a new Arts Council funded Arts Festival in Spon End, Coventry. The Festival is being organised by a partnership steering group led by The Albany Theatre. The plan is to deliver the Art Trail on the weekend preceding the Spon Spun Arts Festival. Works from the Art Trail will then be exhibited at The City Arcadia
Gallery from 21st – 31st May 2016. This exhibition will be curated by Jane Ball of Coventry University and Labour
Exchange, with support from Coventry Artspace. It will include a presentation of photographs by Adele Mary Reed capturing the significance of the Art Trail locations to members of the community in Spon End.
The overarching theme of the event, which will encompass different art forms, is Spon End Stories.
Call for Proposals/Projects
The Spon Spun Festival Group is inviting calls for artworks/projects to be included in this year’s art trail. The art trail is a one-day event taking place on the 14th May 2016. We are interested in interventions, installations, performances, experiments, moving images, video based work, artistic research projects and concepts which benefit from being installed in the Spon End environment and that address the above theme of ‘Spon End Stories’ and/or which encourage creative playfulness, engagement and interaction.
Locations currently being considered are:
1. Rose Community Centre
2. Weavers House
3. Artspace Studios
5. Koco Community Resource Centre
6. Broomfied Tavern
7. The Albany Theatre
Proposals for work in these locations will be considered, as will proposals for locations in alternative locations. We are particularly interested in locations that are meaningful to the local community. If you have a proposal but haven’t yet specified a location you can still apply and we will choose a location. If you have selected a location please let us know in your proposal.
The deadline to apply is 10am Friday 29 April 2016!
How to apply
Application is through an open call process. To make an application please complete the application form that can be downloaded here. Please email your application form FAO Mindy Chillery to firstname.lastname@example.org and put ‘SPON SPUN ART TRAIL PROPOSAL’ in the header.
Artists working in all disciplines can apply. This can include, but is not limited to, video, sculpture, installation, drawing, painting, photography, performance, sound, interventions, participatory and collaborative work.
Artists do not need to live in Spon End to apply. The key requirements are a willingness to experiment with showing your artwork in unusual spaces and an openness and curiosity to see what happens when you extend your practice in new ways through engagement with the art trail.
The selection panel will consist of:
- Jane Ball, Senior Lecturer, Coventry University and Director of Labour Exchange
- A representative of The Albany Theatre
- A representative of Coventry Artspace
- A Spon End resident (tbc)
The selection criteria are artistic quality, originality, creativity and feasibility of realising the project. It is expected that there will be approximately 10 stops on the Art Trail.
Proposals are accepted until 10am on the 29th April 2016 through the application form on the website.
Terms and Conditions
Application is free. Participation in the Art Trail is free of charge and the Trail is free to view.
The cost of producing the artworks is the artist’s own responsibility. The artwork remains the property of the artist at all times.
The Albany Theatre and Artspace will promote the Art Trail and related activities in various ways including social media. All work selected will be included on a printed Spon Spun Art Map which will be handed out at the festival.
The Art Trail will be documented and disseminated in a variety of ways including social media pages.
We reserve the right to use images or work provided by the participants and produced for the Art Trail for press and public relations purposes.
Selected artists must agree to:
- Provide a certificate of Public Liability Insurance, a copy of this will need to be submitted to the organisers prior to installation of the work. This can be provided by a number of insurance companies or comes free with annual membership to A-N the Artists Information Co. Coventry university students, staff and AA2A artists are covered by the university’s insurance and therefore don’t need to provide their own copy.
- Install their work by 10am and remove it and clear up by 4pm on the day of the art trail (14th May 2016)
- Stay with their work for the duration of the art trail or nominate someone to do this on their behalf and be prepared to talk to the public about their work.
- Allow images of work and accompanying statement to be used for publicity purposes.
Please direct further questions to email@example.com